Monday, September 24, 2012

Autumn Again (One Year of this Blog)

Minnehaha Park, Minneapolis, MN
(Kunst and Papier 16 x 19 cm journal)

Some of the most interesting areas, biologically speaking are the edges between woods and meadow or where ever there's a change in habitat etc.  There is a steep hillside between the picnic area to the east along the river and the more open area that leads to the movement of the creek after the falls.
At this time of year the tall dry weeds seem to take over and the squirrels are being very busy indeed.  I've so recently seen jackrabbits in Arizona, squirrels in Minnesota.  The marvels of air travel make these contrasts striking once I slow down enough to notice.  Observations on the edges are another gift to the naturalist with a notebook, or a sketchbook.  I hope students are getting out their nature journals in preparation for another year of paying attention to their world.

No comments: