On Sunday about twenty artists met at Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis. A great diversity of points of view is one of the interesting results of these group sketching gatherings. The lovely fall day and the variety of territory and monuments from different timeperiods made Sunday a great example of this. I believe examples will be posted on the Metrosketchers Facebook page. I was particularly impressed by the lichen-covered statue in memory of five year old Ella Louise Hankenson from 1888. As I was sketching the trees surrounding the statue I began to wonder if her parents, George and Florence had seen any of these same trees over a hundred years ago when they came to visit there. More contemporary visitors have added both plastic flowers and a plastic rosary to the weathered stone which has now blended into the location as almost another part of nature.
 |
| Ella Louise, Daughter of George and Florence Hankenson, 1883-1888 |
 |
| Lakewood Cemetery, Minneapolis MN |
No comments:
Post a Comment