Sunday, January 27, 2013

Urban Underbelly

The piles of snow in industrial parking lots (and other places too) are now predominantly gray.
I sketched from the car, just south of the High Bridge looking north and west toward St Paul.  This is close to the Mississippi River, yet facing away from the river and looking up onto the river bluffs.  I  like the way the houses are built on the top with probably interesting views from the rather ordinary upstairs windows.



I decided to get another small travel palette.  This way I can keep the gouache paint in its own place. This one made by Pinceaux Manet.  I removed the inside in order not to use the "pans" for holding paint and replaced it with just white cardstock (from a Christmas card).  This can be thrown out when used sufficiently and replaced by a new card.   I marked the zinc white and titanium white because I seem to forget which is which.  I am often using toned paper and the gouache is good for that.  In one corner I'm trying English red and dark blue indigo combined which I mix for blacks, darks and greys.


No comments: