Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Every Available Space


Corn is planted up close to the edge of town and often squeezed onto every inch of soil.  I am looking at the lovely grey green of it in some lights and realizing how naive I've been about my food supply, about agricultural practices in general.  My mom used to call me a dreamer, especially when there was some task at hand.  Is there a place for a dreamer in the larger scheme of things?
Every available moment is becoming more and more valuable to me.  Now I am in a place where I often can see off into the distance. Space seems much more spacious than in a big city.  At least it did until I see this corn-focused use of every available space.   I'm thinking more about light and space, about work and dreams.

I am thinking about Grandmas and knitting and stereotypes.  I am thinking about dreaming and working.
Actually I am not always thinking.  I dream.  I work.   I live.
I live trying to fill up every available space.





I am making a vest using linen stitch but currently I am back to square one, having ripped out an entire section due to an error that seemed to be spreading, could not be confined and began to take up every available space.

Pause and begin again.


3 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Judith! Linen stitch is one of my favorites for knitting. And your sketches are wonderfully evocative of summer. Thanks so much for sharing! You make me want to get my paints out and sketch...

Judith said...

I not only like linen stitch but the reverse side of it as well Thank you so much for your interest and comments

Jill said...

Hi...will put some photos of the table runner up in a few days, need to take some photos : O ! Thanks for visiting!